Search content

Which was the first Elder Scrolls game you played?

Monday 10 October 2011

Skeevers!



Skeeters
If I could pick a familiar, it'd be an ostrich named Larry. But that is not what this post is about at all. This post is about Skeevers, which are big rats, alas not as big as the ones in Oblivion.

Giant rat (Oblivion)
I feel like huge rats are one of the oldest RP enemies, even though they lack a certain creativity. Don't get me wrong, they're perfect for 1st encounters due to being totally pathetic, not taking in account a certain example I heard yesterday: "In Morrowind, it is completely retarded that you can lose to a rat when you have a sword" - I'm gonna have to agree, but mostly because I lost to a mosquito here the other day, even though I had a sledge hammer. I feel bad about that.

Giant rat (Morrowind)
Anyway, Skeevers are significantly smaller than the usual giant rats, making them even more pathetic, but at least they attack in groups, adding to the illusion of being in actual combat.

Though the different takes on giant rats through Elder Scrolls time have about the same size and challenge level of a mudcrab, they have never quite received as much attention and appreciation, which is probably due to the fact that they lack the pride and quiet dignity of the much worshipped mudcrab.

No comments:

Post a Comment